How to Decide the Best Hair Length For You: Short or Long?
If you’re looking to switch up your hairstyle, you aren’t alone. According to Hj.co.uk, the busiest months for hair salons were found to be March, May, and June (when 30% of annual appointments were booked). With hair salon season about to really ramp up, you’re probably thinking about what you want to do with your latest hairstyle. Should you choose short hair or long hair? This is a common question that many people have around this time of year, and MyCuts is here to make your decision easier! Believe it or not, there are a couple of ways to determine the best hair length for you. Let’s get started!
Consider Your Face Shape
The first thing you should consider when determining to go with short or long hair is your face shape. In order to determine your face shape, you need to pay attention to factors such as your cheekbones, jaw, and forehead. There are six main face shapes, including:
- Square: The length and width of your face is nearly one to one with equal lengths both horizontally and vertically. You likely have a strong angled jaw with a minimal curve at your chin.
- Oval: In those with an oval face shape, the length of the face is usually more than the width. The forehead will be the widest part of the face.
- Heart-shaped: You likely have a slimmer chin with a wider forehead, as well as a pointed chin. This face shape resembles the shape of an inverted triangle.
- Round: In those with a round face shape, the length to width ratio of the face is nearly equal. You likely have flatter cheekbones, which stand out as the widest part of your face, with soft and rounded facial features.
- Rectangle: A rectangle face shape is characterized by the forehead, cheeks, and jawline possessing nearly the same width.
- Diamond: Those with a diamond face shape have a narrower forehead, higher and more pronounced cheekbones, and a pointy chin.
Once you’ve determined your face shape, what’s next? Well, there are certain hairstyles that are more widely recommended according to face shape. While you’re allowed to break the rules, these are the hairstyles that are typically best suited in accordance to face shape:
- While oval face shapes are able to wear almost any style, experts recommend styles such as a layered bob, side-swept pixie cut, long layers, or shoulder-length waves.
- Those with a square face shape often consider softening the edges around the strong jawline and forehead. For this reason, hair stylists widely recommend soft side-swept bangs, long layers with fringe, or wavy shags.
- Heart-shaped faces are best suited for wavy layers, blunt bangs, or a chin-length bob.
- Round faces work well with a long bob hairstyle.
- Rectangle faces are, similarly to square faces, best suited for long layers or a feathered fringe to soften the edges of the face.
- Those with diamond-shaped faces can really show off their high cheekbones by going with either short-cropped hair. If they want to keep a longer haircut, they should go with face-framing long layers.
Take Your Hair Type Into Account
Next, you should take your hair type into account when deciding on either a short or long haircut. Here’s what you should consider based on hair type:
- Fine hair: Generally, those with fine hair should choose a hairstyle with the least amount of layering, keeping things blunt and short.
- Medium hair: With medium hair, there are a variety of lengths possible. Consider adding texture and layers.
- Thick hair: In this case, styles can vary depending on texture or type of hair. You can get away with tons of layering, as long layers help with weight removal, debulk density, and will help make day-to-day styling more manageable.
Hair Salon Visits Made Easy With the MyCuts App!
Now that you know the best ways to determine whether short or long hair is best for you, it’s time to book an appointment at your local salon. As discussed, we’re quickly approaching the busiest time of year for hair salons. Luckily, the MyCuts app is here to make managing busy hair salon schedules easier than ever!
With the revolutionary MyCuts software, the entire hair salon experience is easier for hair salons and their customers alike. The app allows your local hair salon to offer you a convenient way to schedule and monitor your hair appointments right from your mobile device!
MyCuts is also great for hairstylists as it simplifies the process of managing their list of clients. With helpful features like client management, appointment reminders, and scheduling, keeping regular appointments with your hairstylist has never been easier. Want to see what MyCuts can offer you? Check out our demo!